by Athena Karalekas, CPT
The other day as I was reading through the blog posts on Around the Plate, one recipe caught my eye. “Wait, a minute,” I thought. “My pumpkin obsession is justified? Sweet!” As Brandi said in her post giving the pumpkin obsessed some peace of mind, I have fallen for pumpkin. Yes, friends, I have fallen hard! It’s hard not to with reminders of the delicious gourds everywhere.
One of my favorite pumpkin recipes for fall is Tuscan Pumpkin White Bean Soup. One of my co-workers recommended this to me, and I love it! It makes for the perfect autumn Sunday night comfort meal, it only takes about 15-20 minutes to make, and it’s great to have on hand for leftovers as well.
Here’s the recipe!
Tuscan Pumpkin White Bean Soup
1 spray cooking spray, olive oil, or enough to coat pot
1 medium onion, uncooked, coarsely chopped
15 oz canned pumpkin
3.5 cups of fat-free chicken broth
15.5 ounces of canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
¼ tsp ground oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Coat a large soup pot with cooking spray and set over medium-low heat.
2. Add onion, cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
3. Stir in pumpkin, broth, beans and oregano; simmer 8 minutes.
4. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Note: Make sure not to overfill blender to avoid splattering.
5. Return soup to pot and reheat; season with salt and pepper.
6. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon of grated cheese.
This recipe makes about six servings (1 cup each).
What’s your favorite pumpkin recipe this season?
Athena Karalekas is a certified personal trainer, a wellness coach in training, and the chief blogger behind Fitness & Feta. As a full believer in “everything in moderation,” Athena blogs to help others find balance in their lives and achieve an active lifestyle through her engaging mix of wellness tips, recipes, workouts, and more. Follow Fitness & Feta on Facebook & Twitter.