Yellow, zesty and wonderful, curry powder has more to offer than just making your taste buds tingle. An Indian staple, curry powder is a combination of spices that include turmeric, coriander, and cardamom plus a variety of other spices that make each combination unique. Put these spices together and viola- an antioxidant power house is born, which makes using this spice high on the “use often” list.
Here are the Top 5 Reasons Curry Powder should be in your next meal:
1. Out of this World Flavor. We are all about how things taste here at Around the Plate, and the ethnic blend of curry spices melts perfectly together on your taste buds and takes homemade to a whole new level. It does not have to be complicated to be delicious with curry; consider sprinkling a bit of curry powder on your popcorn, or on top of your baked sweet potato fries.
2. Reduce inflammation. When you consider that stress can increase overall inflammation and that it can lead to all sorts of other health problems, it is really exciting to find a food (or spice!) that will help reduce that pesky precursor. Luckily, curry powder is on the research hot list for this exact reason. Spice up, and spice often!
3. Indigestion Relief. Since some of the spices in curry are from the ginger family, which is known to aid in indigestion, it only makes sense that their curry cousin would want to help too. Strong studies show that curry powder may help with an upset tummy by stimulating the gallbladder to release extra bile.
4. Natural Food Coloring. Turmeric, one of the spices included in many curry powder combos can add a yellow hue to food. Consider adding a fun color to mashed cauliflower with curry powder, changing the color scheme from white to exciting yellow!
5. Heart Healthy. Working on reducing hypertension or avoiding the morning bloat? Curry powder is an excellent choice to season with because it will skip adding salt to your meal but will definitely add mega flavor. This spice can substitute garlic salt, season salt, or even sea salt giving you an overall savings of up to 25% of daily salt intake!
Need a few ideas on how to incorporate curry in your next meal? Check out this recipe for an amazing way to utilize curry at the dinner table, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Curry. Or, get creative with curry in a current recipe by swapping out a spice and putting curry in its place. Happy cooking!
Have you ever cooked with curry before? What are some of your favorite meals and snacks to incorporate it in?