Healthy eating is one of the most popular new year’s resolutions made each year, yet as we all know, it’s hard to make those resolutions stick.
Wanting to eat more healthfully is an excellent and potentially challenging resolution, in that it requires dedication and commitment. In order to up the odds of a successful healthy lifestyle change, make sure you have smart goals that are realistic and doable for you, and that will work toward your overall resolution.
If you aren’t quite sure where to start, here are a few pointers to get your resolution off on the right foot:
- Come up with an action plan! Be specific, realistic, and positive; make achieving your goals as easy as possible for yourself.
- Identify potential road blocks to eating healthy. Common barriers include: snacking while watching television, giving up favorite foods, lack of social support, eating at the work place, traveling, lack of variety, and boredom.
- Come up with solutions for your road blocks. Setbacks are inevitable, so being prepared will help you learn from your mistakes and continue with your healthy eating goals!
- Make a list of reasons for wanting to eat healthier- the more benefits, the more determined you will likely be!
- Get familiar with a few basic nutrition principles to understand the role nutrients play in achieving and maintaining good health.
- Tackle the food label, once and for all: learn the language and know what’s really in your food!
- Keep a daily food journal and record everything you eat and drink. Tracking your food habits helps increase self-awareness and promotes healthier eating.
- Enlist the support and encouragement of your family, friends, and coworkers! Another option is joining a local or online support group for individuals with similar health goals.
- Get back up so you won’t ever have to tackle your healthy eating resolution alone.
- Avoid information overload and keep your goals simple and concise.
- Celebrate every achievement, no matter how small it may seem. Give yourself a pat on the back for every positive effort you make in your journey to healthier eating!
Get a head start on your healthy 2012 resolution by creating a realistic game plan you can start today. This will make it easier to achieve and follow through with your wellness goals!
Here’s to a Happy, Healthy New Year!
The Intern Around the Plate,