As the holiday season rolls around, many of us jump into the kitchen and bake holiday sweets to share with family, friends and coworkers. Although our intentions may be filled with holiday cheer, we may need to stop and ask ourselves, “is this gluten-free?” Unfortunately, it’s difficult to provide a gluten-free sweet treat for our loved ones. Despite the growing gluten-free selection at the grocery stores, homemade gluten-free recipes can be hard to come by, especially when it comes to sweets! Therefore, to keep with the holiday spirit and allow everyone to enjoy their holiday sugar-buzz, I want to share a gluten-free recipe for a tasty treat.
For years, chocolate and peppermint have been a classic duo. There is just something refreshing and delightful about the combination of this sweet treat. Of course, this is also a personal favorite of mine too! So when I came across this gluten-free peppermint thin recipe, I just knew it would be a hit at all the holiday parties!
Gluten-Free Holiday Peppermint Thins
1 ¾ cups gluten-free flour (see directions for combining below)
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 ¼ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
¾ butter, softened
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
15 ounces vanilla or chocolate-flavored candy coating (almond bark)
Hard peppermint candies, crushed
1. Combine gluten-free flour blend, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl until mixed; set aside.
2. Combine powdered sugar and butter. Beat until smooth. Add egg and peppermint extract; continue beating until well mixed. Slowly incorporate flour mixture. 3. Continue to beat until thoroughly mixed.
4. Divide dough evenly into thirds. Shape each into a ball; flatten slightly. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm (approximately 2 hours or overnight).
5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness using the gluten-free flour blend on surface to prevent sticking. Work on one of the thirds at a time and keep remaining dough refrigerated. Cut dough with a 2-inch round cookie cutter, place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Cool completely.
6. Place candy coating in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH and stir often for 60 to 90 seconds.
7. Place waxed paper onto flat surface. Dip each cookie into warm coating; shake off excess. Allow cookies to set on waxed paper. Immediately decorate as desired. 8. Let stand until coating is set.
9. Store between layers of waxed paper in loosely covered container. Cookies may also be frozen for a cool treat or crushed and added to some gluten-free ice cream, yum!
Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.
Serving size: 1 cookie
Dietary Fiber: 0g
*This recipe was originated from Land O Lakes Company. The original recipe recommends using Land O Lakes butter and egg products and therefore the following statement is provided by the company regarding their products used in this recipe.
This recipe was developed using alternative flours and other products labeled as “gluten-free”. To date, the FDA and USDA have not defined the term “gluten-free.” Therefore, to the best of our knowledge, the ingredients in our Process Cheese (example: American Process Cheese) and our natural dairy products (examples: natural cheese and butter) do not contain gluten.
For more of your favorite holiday recipes, check out Spice for the Holidays and keep your foods full of flavor all season long!
An Intern Behind the Plate,