The blogging community spreads far and wide. Whether you’ve been blogging for years, or are simply an avid follower of healthy living blogs, there are many benefits that accompany this wonderful online community. Becoming a blogger doesn’t happen overnight though. In order to reap the benefits of blogging, you must be dedicated, somewhat time-sensitive, and of course, willing to share a piece of yourself with THE ENTIRE WORLD!! Kind of scary, huh? But the benefits you enjoy as a blogger, far outweigh the time, dedication, and minor privacy invasion that are required to blog.
Many people, in fact, claim that writing their blog has been a life changing experience. Amy, from Mac&Cheese&Peas, recently reminisced on how her life has changed since starting her blog 1 year ago. In celebration of Amy’s 1-year Blogiversary, I thought it would be great to discuss some of the healthy benefits that go hand-in-hand with blogging!
- Accountability: Starting a blog is a great way to hold yourself accountable when working towards acheivements in your life… that is, if you maintain your blogging adventure throughout your journey. After a while, you run out of excuses to share with people as to why you haven’t started working toward [insert healthy living goal here]. Not only do you feel like you have accomplished something once you reach your goal, but it feels even better when you get to experience that first “look what I did” moment.
- Support System/Networking: There are tons of other bloggers out there, and believe it or not, there is someone going through a similar experience as you. That’s why the online community is such a wonderful support system! It is full of people just like you, who are struggling just as much as you are, while trying to make the same changes! You’d be amazed at how supportive a complete stranger can be. Another great plus about the online community is that it’s great for networking. You never know when that connection you made with another blogger might lead to a new job, a new hobby, or a just great new life experience!
- Documentation: If all else fails, at least you have an awesome documentation of your life. Something to look back on while reliving the memories, both the good and the bad. A way to learn from your mistakes, and move on with your progress. Something to share with your friends & family. Think of it as an online journal, except cooler because you also have sweet pictures to go along with your life story!
- Resources: There is practically no limit to the amount of resources you can find in the online community. Recipes, workout ideas, organizational tips, inspiring stories… you name it, you can find it on the Internet. The hardest part of finding information on the Internet, is finding reliable information. The great part about blogging is that there are plenty of other people out there who have tried & tested those resources, and are there to give you their honest opinion on what does and does not work.
- Therapy: You know how sometimes the solution to your problem is just getting it off your chest? A blog is a great way to just get it all out there. If something is bugging you, blog about it. If someone is frustrating you, blog about it. I’m not suggesting you make every post a giant rant of what you think is wrong with other people in the world, but sometimes just the process of writing everything down helps to solve the problem itself. Sharing your issues is also a great way to get another perspective on your problem. Just remember, what you post is public, so be sure that you are comfortable with what you are sharing!
Now surely there are more than just 5 healthy benefits of blogging, but these were the first that came to mind. Building a successful blog won’t happen overnight, as I mentioned before. In the case of blogging, going slow and steady is always a good method. Think of blogging like a marathon, and not a sprint. If you set the goal to blog at least once, every single day, you may be able to maintain this for a while, but it may eventually take over your life… and that would defeat the healthy benefits of blogging. Your blog will always be there for you, so be sure to take things at your own pace. If there is ever a moment you are feeling lost or overwhelmed, don’t worry! There is never a blogger too far away who isn’t willing to reach out a helping hand! Don’t be afraid to reach out to the blogging community as you start your journey and embrace the healthy benefits of blogging!
What benefits have you experienced from blogging?
The Intern Behind the Plate,
Mac&Cheese&Peas is a blog written and maintained by Amy Sinclair. Amy is one of Around the Plate’s Healthy Eating Champions and is a member of thePlate Community. As a Healthy Eating Champion, Amy enjoys sharing her philosophy on healthy living- all it takes is a little bit of effort, dedication, and planning. Find other healthy eating champions, nutrition experts, and recipe gurus on our community blog network.