Who doesn’t love a good DIY project? This past weekend, we made a great gift for dad at thePlate Boutique and you can make it too! So roll up your sleeves, clean off your tabletop, and get ready to make some DIY map coasters with us!
Here’s what you need:
2 ceramic tiles (slightly larger than 4×4″)
Maps of your favorite state
1. Take your maps and cut into 4×4″ squares. Start by cutting the map into more manageable sections and removing the areas you may not want to use. For example, if your map has a lot of blue space, a map key, or any additional information that might not look so great on a coaster. Then use scissors to cut remaining sections into squares or use a paper cutter for more even edging.
2. Put the map pieces aside and grab your cork. You can buy self-adhesive cork pieces to place on each corner of the bottom of each tile or you can buy sheets of cork and cut into 1/2″ – 1″ squares. If you choose the latter, apply glue to the bottom corner of each tile and place cork pieces on top. Press down and make sure each piece is securely fashioned.
3. Flip your tiles over and apply a layer of Mod Podge. As soon as its been applied, place a 4×4″ map square on top. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
4. Begin applying layers of Mod Podge to your tiles. I like to do 3 layers, but you can do as many or as little as you’d like. Let each layer dry for about 15-20 minutes in between each coat.
5. Viola! You have some pretty awesome and unique coasters that show your state pride!
Don’t have time to make your own coasters? No worries! You can always buy Michigan-inspired coasters from us at both our retail store locations!