There’s no way around it. It’s hot out there! Summer is in full swing and the temperature and humidity levels just keep climbing. If you’re struggling to stay cool and comfortable this summer read on to see how you can beat the heat with a few healthy treats.
- Berry-sicles: One of my favorite ways to flavor water is by flavoring it when its frozen. Take some of your favorite berries, like strawberries or raspberries, and put them in an ice cube tray. Fill the empty spaces with water, freeze and enjoy!
- Eat water loaded fruits and veggies: It has been said that by incorporating more water-rich foods, you can keep your body temperature lower; especially during the summer months. Try broccoli, cucumbers, watermelon, or grapefruit for a little hydration bump.
- Yogurt-sicles: These are almost the exact same thing as the berry-sicles except you fill the ice cube trays with yogurt instead. After you fill the tray, lightly wrap clear wrap around them and stick popsicle sticks or toothpicks through the wrap. Remove when frozen and enjoy!
- Cold Noodles: Say what? Instead of heating up some hot pasta over the stove, cook up your noodles and let them cool over night. Enjoy them with a dressing of your choice for a light and refreshing meal.
- Non-Sugary Lemonade: Grab your favorite pitcher and fill it up with water. Next, take 2 to 3 whole lemons and place in a blender. Blend the lemons, skins and all, to create a super lemony flavor. Combine the lemony mix with the water in your pitcher and serve it up as a refreshing summer beverage. For an extra flavor bonus, consider adding some of the above berry-sicles for a unique twist on an old favorite.
- Frozen Greek Yogurt Blueberries: Try this four step process from Corinne over at Eat, Love, Live, Thrive to make these deliciously refreshing “beat the heat” treats. Blueberries are an excellent source of antioxidants and the Greek yogurt used to coat them gives you a boost of protein.
What’s another easy way to stay cool despite the heat? Drink, drink and drink….H2O! I know water can get “boring” but drinking it alongside with these healthy treats to cool you down will keep your body refreshed, fueled, and hydrated.
How are you beating the heat this summer? Share your tips with us below!
Eat, Love, Live, Thrive is a blog written and maintained by Corrine Dobbas MS, RD. Corrine is one of Around the Plate’s Nutrition Experts and is a member of thePlate Community. As a nutrition expert, Corrine makes eating healthy simple. Find other nutrition experts, recipe gurus, and healthy eating champions on our community blog network.