As Americans, we’re constantly being told that we need to eat healthier. This can be difficult if you’re in love with the recipes you currently make and aren’t sure how to improve their health factor.
If you’re anything like me, you’re probably a “follow the recipe to a tee” kind of person. I’d love to be more explorative with healthy recipe substitutions, but I’m worried about ruining the end product.
This led me to research the right way to do substitutions so that I could share with all of you a few simple ways to make your favorite recipe a little bit healthier without having to sacrifice the taste you’ve already come to love.
19 Healthy Recipe Substitutions You Can Use Today!
1. Instead of bread crumbs, use rolled oats or crushed bran cereal
2. Instead of butter, margarine, or shortening in baked goods, use applesauce or pureed prunes
3. Instead of sour cream, use low-fat or regular Greek yogurt
4. Instead of white bread, use whole grains
5. Instead of whole eggs, use two egg whites for each whole egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute for each whole eggs
6. Instead of all-purpose flour, use whole-wheat flour in baked goods – only use half of what the recipe calls for though!
7. Instead of meat as the main ingredient, add two to three times the amount of vegetables an cut the meat by 1/2
8. Instead of whole milk, use skim, reduced-fat, or fat-free milk
9. Instead of regular ground beef, use ground round or ground turkey breast
10. Instead of tuna packed in oil, use tuna packed in water
11. Instead of heavy cream, use evaporated skim milk or low-fat yogurt
12. Instead of buttermilk, use 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar added to enough low-fat milk to make 1 cup
13. Instead of melted butter, use 3/4 Tbsp canola oil for 1 Tbsp melted butter
14. Instead of mayo, use low-fat or non-fat sour cream or low-fat or non-fat yogurt
15. Instead of white rice, use brown or wild rice or bulgur
16. Instead of seasoning with salt, season with herbs only – use garlic powder, celery seeds, onion flakes, or finely cut herbs
17. Instead of thickening soups with cream, thicken with pureed carrots or tofu
18. Instead of sugar, reduce your sugar by one half and add sweetness with small amounts of vanilla, nutmeg or cinnamon
19. Instead of fruit flavored yogurts, use plain regular or Greek yogurt and add your own fresh fruit slices
Do you think you’ll taste a difference in the recipes when you swap ingredients? Let us know how they work for you or what healthy recipe substitutions you’ve been trying out at home!