Believe it or not, this dietitian hasn’t always known her way around the kitchen. In fact, I still stumble a bit! But one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned while spending time there is that stumbling is sort of a requirement to begin an adventure there.
I’m a huge advocate for home cooked meals and spending time together. I’m also a firm believer that eating well begins in the kitchen and that its okay to play with your food. Trying new combinations and taking risks are two behaviors I’ve really learned to lean into over the past few years, and luckily for my family’s sake, most of those decisions have turned into delicious meals and snacks.
My boys, Eli and Ben, will tell you that there isn’t a food I don’t enjoy, and that’s actually a pretty accurate statement. My mother says she knew I was destined to be a nutritionist because of the way that I ate as a child. Random fun fact – for one of my birthdays I requested a veggie platter and cheese and cracker tray INSTEAD of a cake. Who does that!?! This girl does… or did… these days I’d probably choose the cake!
And yes, I do love vegetables. And cheese….and coffee…and wine. Really, all foods are fair game in this house! But I promise that you’ll primarily see recipes here that are comprised of simple, delicious, wholesome ingredients and make cooking healthy for you and your family a little easier to do. After all, its hard getting dinner on the table every night of the week these days!
Speaking of dinner, you’ll see some guests here from time to time too. My husband and I love a good dinner party and hope to share some of the great stories, relationships, and dishes that come from those evenings where we open up our table to others.
A few other things you should know about me:
- My faith is an essential part of who I am. My husband, Aaron, has been working in ministry for the past six years as Director of Student Ministries at our church, Mount Pleasant Community Church.
- My signature dish is sweet potato and black bean curry.
- My husband and I are in the beginning phases of becoming foster parents! We were licensed earlier this summer and are waiting for the call to tell us a couple of school aged children are in need of a home.
- I married my high school sweetheart. We met behind stage on one of our high school play sets.
- My favorite super hero is Superman and my favorite leading lady is Lois Lane. That’s important trivia because my boys are obsessed with super heroes these days, so you have to know who you’re rooting for.
- I’m a career-loving parent which means I work full-time outside of the home. I recently accepted a position with the United Dairy Industry of Michigan and work as the Nutrition Communications Manager on their team. I’ve always enjoyed a variety of dairy foods, but its been really fun learning more about milk and the farm families who make it possible for us to enjoy on a daily basis.
Over the years I have also had the opportunity to work with a variety of brands and organizations to help spread the message about how a variety of foods fit into healthy, balanced meal plans. A few of these brands include: the Hass Avocado Board, Kellogg’s FiberPlus, Welch’s, and Healthy Steps.
As a dietitian who specializes in nutrition communications, I’ve also had the honor of writing for our local newspaper, the Morning Sun, for three years and have had some of my work featured in Fitness magazine, Shape, YahooShine!, and Diets in Review.
I’ve also been featured on TV, along with many of the amazing people who’ve been apart of our Around the Plate family over the years. You can see some of our highlights in our Buzzworthy section.